The 2020 Urban Summit will be held February 28 and 29 at Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church in Madison Heights. (Urban Summit)
Urban Summit hosted a luncheon for business owners and influencers to discuss about how businesses can work together to create thrives workplaces for all. (Urban Summit)
The 2020 Urban Summit
will be held February 28 and 29.
The Urban Summit brings together members of churches, the nonprofits and business communities, and individuals who are interested in tackling complex questions around poverty and willing to commit to enacting real-world change.
This year's two-day conference will focus on employment justice and building work spaces where the entire community can thrive.
Event hours are 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Friday the 28th and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday the 29th. The conference will be held at Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church in Madison Heights.
Tickets are available here
and range from $15 to $30 with meals included in some options.
Across workshops, panel discussions, and solutions sessions, the attendees will address questions including:
- What could the future look like, and how do we get there?
- In a city with 28% poverty rate, where does change start?
- What are the opportunities and barriers to building workplaces where everyone thrives?
- What can individuals and businesses do in 2020 to further the mission of economic justice for all Memphians?
The conference will also include a 2020 Challenge. Employers will be asked to pledge and make a plan for tangible changes towards economic justice in at least one of the following five areas:
- Increase wages or employee benefits
- Decrease reliance on temporary, part-time, and contract work
- Commit to supervisor training and trauma training for staff
- Volunteer time with another organizations at the conference
- Build pathways into employment for adults with employment barriers like those with a history of incarceration
Enjoy this story? Sign up
for free solutions-based reporting in your inbox each week.